Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Episode 009: Elmer

Bok bok bigock! The boys are back for the newest episode of the Distinguished Comic Book Podcast! This episode Ben and Zack discuss SLG's Elmer, the seedy underbelly of Gotham City and it's police force, and Bertrand Russell! It's math! It's superheroes! It's crime! It's talking chickens! It's under 90 minutes! For your health!

1. Elmer (Amaze Ink/Slave Labor Graphics)
2. Gotham Central (DC)
3. Logicomix (Bloomsbury Press)

Music: The Meters – Chicken Strut

Sponsor: Summit City Comic Con - http://www.SummitCityComicCon.com

Twitter: @zackkruse, @bentiede

Contact: DCBPodcast@gmail.com

DCBPodcast.blogspot.com
SummitCityInk.blogspot.com
www.MysterySolvedComic.com

2 comments:

  1. Excellent episode as always gentlemen!

    Really enjoyed the Gotham Central love, I only discovered the series a few months ago and I have to agree, one of the best mainstream DC comics ever.

    As much as I liked reading Elmer, I have to disagree with you on the comparison with Duncan. In my opinion Duncan the Wonder Dog is one of the best comic books published in the past decade, and it's far ahead of Elmer in terms of quality and impact. I realize that I'm probably in the minority on this one, though, and that's alright :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely see that point of view on Duncan. And, like we said, it wasn't meant as any sort of dis towards that book at all. I loved that book.

    I guess, for me, what made Elmer work was that I felt a personal connection to the characters. And while there were a lot of deep, emotional moments, in Duncan, I don't know that I could say that I really got to know many of the characters on a deeper level--and that sort of disconnect was something that I did not feel with Elmer. But perhaps that's just me.

    Either way, I think both books are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete